Botox is a very popular treatment used by many women and men to turn back the years by removing fine lines and wrinkles from the skin on the face and neck. If you're considering having this type of treatment done at your local skin clinic, here's some useful information to help you decide if it's really for you.
What is Botox and how does it work?
Botox is a product that is actually derived from a neurotoxin produced by the bacteria, clostridium botulinum. Botox injections work by paralysing the nerves within the subcutaneous muscles (those that are sited beneath the surface of the skin), so that the muscles cannot move. This effectively prevents the formation of crows' feet, frown lines, lipstick lines and wrinkles. This cosmetic treatment is delivered into the target areas of the patient's face via injection using extremely fine needles. Although it's pretty painless, you may experience a slight stinging sensation that quickly subsides.
Botox is available through prescription only, and the treatment should only be delivered by a trained clinician under the supervision of a doctor. Never try to obtain Botox online; there are some products out there that could be potentially harmful.
Pros and cons of Botox injections
If you are thinking about trying Botox, here's what you need to know.
- The procedure is very quick; you could even have it done during your lunch hour!
- The injections are pretty painless, although you may feel a very slight stinging sensation.
- There is no lengthy recovery or recuperation time required, so you won't have to hide away behind closed doors for ages afterwards.
- The results can be instantaneous, so you won't have to wait ages to see any benefit from the treatment.
- The procedure is relatively inexpensive, although the cost varies and the total outlay depends on how many areas of your skin are treated.
- The effect of Botox treatment usually lasts for up to four months. You will then need to have the injections repeated, which means further outlay.
- Although the injections themselves are relatively pain-free, you may experience a small amount of bleeding and bruising immediately after the treatment.
Botox is a great way of getting rid of fine lines and wrinkles from the skin on your face and neck. As with any invasive cosmetic procedure, always ensure that the skin clinic you use is reputable and that your clinician is appropriately qualified and experienced in delivering the treatment.